POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mega-Pov or V3.5? : Re: Mega-Pov or V3.5? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:25:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mega-Pov or V3.5?
From: Zeger Knaepen
Date: 28 Jan 2002 22:43:33
Message: <3c561a65$1@news.povray.org>
> MegaPOV 0.7
> Reflection blur - I've seen enough workarounds in these groups to know this
> is needed.
I don't use MegaPOV's reflection blur anymore since I know that the "workarounds"
(using
an average texture_map) gives much better results.  Only problem is when you're using
layered textures...

> Motion blur - okay, flawed, but certainly useful; I use it often.
The only time I really wanted motionblur, the effects were really ugly. :(

> Blinn microfacets - superior to specular highlights in every way.
never used them actually...

> Heightfield_height_at (no way trace works better on hfs, sorry).
trace is a more general approach.  I never used heightfield_height_at
Might be because it's longer than trace :)

> Ini_option (why in the world was this removed?).
ini-options have nothing to do with the scene-file.  They should indeed be separated.

> Mesh Type 2 (parsed much faster and came out smoother).
mesh2 ?  There's no mesh2 in POV3.5 ??
:(

> Glows (Ahem, Chris, didn't you write this one? ; } ).
I don't think glows are really useful.  They would be if you could block them with
other
objects.

> POVMan
yeah, POVMan rules! :)

> ClothSim (How is 3.5 better than this?)
never used it, but you're absolutely right: cloth simulation is a nice thing to have
:)

> Renderman-like Shaders (See falling star animations at p.b.a)
tnx for mentioning my animation :)
And again: POVMan rules!!! :)

> MegaPOV Plus
hmmm, what's new in MegaPOV Plus?

> OK, there are a few things I like about 3.5 Beta+, like the easier
> dispersion and improved functions (especially for isos), but, let's face
> it, MegaPOV in general is more powerful. The true breakthroughs in 3.5 are
> in the superior interface, with enhanced insert menu features, accessible
> command line and better error control, but one could easily load MegaPOV
> into the bin folder. That is, if you didn't have to keep downloading and
> installing the new betas.
I almost never use the insert menu, and I'm happy with the ini-settings in POV-Ray
3.1...

I really don't understand why POV-Ray 3.5 was made.  IMHO it's a waste of time.  The
POV-Team should have concentrated on starting with POV-Ray 4.0.
I mean: POV 4.0 will be a complete rewrite, so everything they do now will have to be
redone.  What's the point?

Maybe I'm just tired.  I've been awake for 17 hours :)

cu!
--
camera{location-z*3}#macro G(b,e)b+(e-b)*(C/50)#end#macro L(b,e,k,l)#local C=0
;#while(C<50)sphere{G(b,e),.1pigment{rgb G(k,l)}finish{ambient 1}}#local C=C+1